b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] stuma in Deut 5,21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] stuma in Deut 5,21
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:33:56 +0100

A clever student asked me whether the "stumah" in the middle of Deut 5,21
might indicate that the Masoretes considered subdividing the commandment
against coveting into two (as in some christian traditions). Having to
improvise an answer, I suggested the sign primarily tells you how to
read/chant the verse - but still: Might he be on to something?

kol tuv
Soren