b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Craig Davis" <chdavis AT airmail.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:46:53 -0600

On 25/02/2004 04:54, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> Witness two: Luke 3:36. Compare Genesis 11:12. Pastor Harrell says
> the Masoretic text permits no interpretation that includes Cainan, while
> the Septuagint does. Is he wrong on this point?

I agree that the MT does not include Cainan.

It is interesting to note that Josephus, who worked from the LXX, also did
not include Cainan. I say he was using the LXX because his ages for the
patriarchs match the LXX and not the MT. I suspect Cainan was a copying
error, since there is already another Cainan earlier in the geneology.

Craig Davis