b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Linguists hope for Aramaic revival

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Linguists hope for Aramaic revival
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:54:02 -0600

Dear Yigal,

that first article said:

(Mr. Gibson's use of Latin, by the way, is deemed a blunder by experts.
He'd have done better with Greek, which was widely spoken in Jesus' day.
"No one in the Mideast spoke Latin," Rabbi Geller said.

HH: I'm not so sure about that. The Romans would have. And apparently some
Jews used latin. The following is a list of some of the manuscript finds,
and it mentions Latin materials. By the way, of course, it also mentions
Hebrew writings, including non-biblical ones:

The Masada Manuscripts
Texts discovered during the excavation of the fortress, including Hebrew
and Aramaic ostraca and fragments of Latin papyri, several biblical texts,
a Hebrew manuscript of Ben Sira, a copy of Songs of the Sabbath Sacrifice,
a composition also known from Qumran, many fragments of Hebrew, Aramaic,
Greek and Latin. Not all of the this collection has been published.

The Manuscripts of Wâdi Murabbacat
Includes a 7th Century BCE palimpsest, some Arabic texts, some 1st century
CE remains, and other documents in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, and Latin from
the time of the Bar Kokhba revolt. This was all published in DJD II as Les
grottes de Murabbacat by P. Benoit, J. T. Milik, and R. de Vaux

The Manuscripts of Nahal Hever
Discovered during Israeli archaeological campaigns to two caves in 1960 and
1961; the 'Cave of Letters' and the 'Cave of Horror'. The first contained
some biblical fragments and a large quantity of Hebrew, Aramaic, Nabataean
and Greek papyri in two lots: the archive of the family Babata and
additional Bar Kokhba documents. The contents of the second cave are less
abundant and appear to point to this cave as the real source of the
collection, reported by Bedouin as originating, from Wâdi Seiyâl.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard