b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "extra" patach in Ex 20,3 / Deut 5,7 ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "extra" patach in Ex 20,3 / Deut 5,7 ?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:24:38 +0200

Peter and Trevor are both correct, and this is exactly what I've been
discussing with Joseph. The Leningrad has both sets of marks, the "upper"
and the "lower", superimposed one next to the other. The patah goes with the
revi`a (the dot above the nun). The kamatz goes with the silluq/soph pasuq.
You're meant to read either one or the other: if your reading the "lower"
marks, which follow regular the verses, then "al-panay" is the end of the
verse. In the "upper" system, in which each commandment is a seperate verse,
"al-panay" is the middle of a verse. And yes, the double vowels in the word
"mittaxat" in vs. 4 is the same thing.

As I've since found out, in the Ashkenakic tradition, the "lower" reading is
used for public reading, when the decalogue happens to be a part of the
weekly Torah portion (as it was this past weekend). The "upper" reading is
used on the festival of Shavu`ot (Pentecost), which commemorates the giving
of the Torah and in which this section is read in sort of a "reenactment" of
the Sinai theophany - hence each commandment is read as a separate "verse".
In the Sephardic and Hassidic traditions, the "upper" reading is used in all
public reading, the "lower" is only for personal study. In the Yemenite
tradition (the "Tajj"), there is no "lower" reading at all.

Yigal