b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "extra" patach in Ex 20,3 / Deut 5,7 ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "extra" patach in Ex 20,3 / Deut 5,7 ?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:19:43 -0800

On 19/02/2004 08:54, Søren Holst wrote:

Shalom, everybody

In some editions of the HB, the last word of the first commandment, in Ex 20,3 as well as Deut
5,7, has what seems to me to be an "extra", unexpected, patach under the final yod: It
says "you shall have no other gods 'al-panaya" (ending in -qamats-yod-patach), rather
than the expected al-panay (with -patach-yod -- some 9 cases in evidence -- OR in pause with
-qamats-yod as in Dan 8,18).

This is found in BHS, in the two Kittel editions I've checked (2nd ed. 1913 (repr.
1925) and 3rd ed. 1937 (repr. 1961), and in the "Keter Yerushalayim" edition
(Ben Zvi publishing house 2000).

It is NOT there in Aron Dotan's Biblia Hebraica Leningradensia from 2001 (nor
in the Qoren edition).

As far as I can see in the facsimilie edition of Leningradensis (Eerdmans
1998), the patach (or some spot of ink looking like a patach) is clearly
there in Ex 20,3, possibly not so in Deut 5,7 (although I wouldn't bet a huge
sum on it).

All that the BHS apparatus has to say the matter is that whereas in Leningradensis Ex
20,3 lacks the sof pasuq, this is added by "mlt Mss Edd" (many manuscripts
and editions).

So how come the two most important editions of Leningradensis (BHS and Dotan)
disagree on the matter?

And if the patach should be there, what is it? A special pausal form?

Any help greatly appreciated

yours confusedly
Soren Holst, Univ. of Copenhagen

I wonder if the patah here is intended to be an alternative pronunciation to the qamets, for use when this is pronounced as not a verse end (note that the sof pasuq is missing in BHS etc) and so with revia rather than silluq. This would correspond to the word MITTAXAT in Exo 20:4 which has both a qamets and a patah under the first tav, as well as two accents, indicating variant pronunciations.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)