b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Ancient pronunciation of biblical names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Shai Heijmans" <shaih AT post.tau.ac.il>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Ancient pronunciation of biblical names
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:50:52 +0200

Hi Michael,

Reduction of unstressed vowels is a very normal process in all
languages; you don't need to have special factors.

Take for example your sentence:

> I asked for theories about what
> linguistic factors might have contributed to the
> reduction of the first syllables

Look carefully, and you see that almost all unstressed vowels are
reduced. Take for instance the word "con-tri-bu-ted". The primary stress
in in CON and the secondary is in BU. The rest of the vowels are reduced
to shwa (TRI, TED). And the same with "asked", "about", "factors",
"reduction", "syllables" - all unstressed vowels have become shwa.

The real question is not why vowels were reduced in Tiberian Hebrew, but
rather what made some unstressd vowels maintain their distinct
character. *THAT* might be the influence of Aramaic.

Shai