b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Ancient pronunciation of biblical names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Ancient pronunciation of biblical names
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:25:21 -0800 (PST)

The subject is too broad: what period is meant by"ancient pronounciation"?
The time span ranges well over a thousand years, as we know. Naturally
pronounciation changes over such a long time.

One can start with the Amarna period, middle of fourteenth century BCE, and
only about six generations prior to the famous Merenptah Stele that
articulates the name Israel for the first time.The tablets include many West
Semitic personal names, some of which are found in the HB.

Richard S. Hess made an excellent study of the Amarna Personal Names; since
the tablets were written in the syllabic cuneiform, approximate
pronounciations are possible. They would correspond with the way names in
Early Israel would have been pronounced.

Approx. seven centuries later there are Heb. names mostly in Assyrian but
also in Babylonian records., both, again, written in syllabic cuneiform.

Then comes the evidence of the LXX.

Given that the above mentioned sources exist, nevertheless decisions on
this matter must remain tentative. The MT probably does not retain original
pronounciations, but here too one must be careful: a PN like Yaaqov may well
retain, as read nowadays,( in the modified Sephardic Israeli pronounciation)
the same sounds it had in Mari in the eighteenth century BCE.

Uri

://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/b-hebrew