b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fw: Ta`am `Elyon of the Decalogue

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fw: Ta`am `Elyon of the Decalogue
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:05:21 +0200

Great, so the ArtScroll (Stone), also uses what I'm assuming is the
Leningrad Ta`am `Elyon, that combines the first and second commandments into
one long "verse", with explaining that this is because the people actually
heard these two from the voice of God, while only Moses heard the rest. I've
seen this explanation elsewhere.
So now I'll rephrase my questions:

1. How old is this tradition (not the midrash that they only heard the first
two, but the tradition of dividing up the verses accordingly)?

2. What is the source of the alternative tradition for Ta`am `Elyon, that
ends verse 2 (`avadim) with a soph pasuq?

Yigal