b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ta`am `Elyon of the Decalogue

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joseph I. Lauer" <josephlauer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ta`am `Elyon of the Decalogue
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:23:50 -0500

Shavua Tov, Yigal!
You asked: <"By the way, in the ArtScroll (Stone), which division do
they use in the Ta`am `Elyon - are commandments 1 and 2 combined or
separate? Is there any note on this?">
As I noted, page 415 of the ArtScroll Chumash (Stone Edition) has the
Ta'am 'Elyon for Exodus 20:2-14. The First Commandment (v. 2) and the
Second Commandment (vv. 3-6) are combined (that is, there are no colons or
other contemporary punctuation marks dividing the verses). As in other
printings of the Ta'am 'Elyon, the last word of the First Commandment, v. 2
('Avadim), has a Revi'i. In the Second Commandment, the last word of v. 3
(Panai with a Patach at the end of the word, not a Kamatz as in the Ta'am
Tahton) has a Revi'i, as does the last word of v. 4 (LaAretz). The last
word of v. 5 (L'son'oi [I'm trying to indicate a Kamatz at the end of the
word!]) is marked with an Esnahta. The Second Commandment ends (v. 6) in
both versions with a Sof Pasuk.
I'm sorry to say that I did not see a note on this issue in the
ArtScroll Chumash although pages 406-07 has a discussion of what the people
heard and from whom.
I should have noted that the ArtScroll Chumash has the Ta'am Elyon for
the Ten Commandments in Deuteronomy 5:6-18 on page 979, while the Ta'am
Tahton version is on pages 968 and 970.
Joe Lauer

Joseph I. Lauer
Brooklyn, New York