b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives onPhilistineguardsofJ udean kings in Kings and Samuel?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives onPhilistineguardsofJ udean kings in Kings and Samuel?
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:27:17 -0500

I just reread Samuel and Kings, and noticed that the language used is usually
linguistically simple like what I had come to expect from post-exilic
writing. Particularly in Kings, there is repeated references to source
materials. Linguistically, many of the most complex passages are where it
quotes spoken statements. Part of that could be attributed to the subject
matter covered, but some of it from being late to post exilic.

There is no date given to the authorship nor the identity of the author, but
the last event related happened well after the Galut Babel started. That
gives an earliest date if these books were written as a unit. Most of what we
know of King David’s life chronologically is from Samuel, though other
aspects of the man can be learned from his Psalms.