b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] A linguistic introduction to Biblical Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rasmus Underbjerg Pinnerup <pinnerup AT privat.dk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] A linguistic introduction to Biblical Hebrew?
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:51:27 +0100

Dear B-Hebrew-members,

I have for a couple of years studied Biblical Hebrew on and off, mostly
using the Danish grammar of Johannes Pedersen and (more recently) "A
Grammar of Biblical Hebrew" by Joüon and Muraoka, which are both
classical grammars in the way they approach the language.

I would like, however, to read a more linguistically oriented
description of the language in the hope that it would answer some
additional questions. I am thinking something along the lines of
"Ancient Egyptian: A Linguistic Introduction" by Antonio Loprieno or
"Russian: A Linguistic Introduction" by Paul Cubberley.

Does any such book exist? And if it does, is it recommendable? And what
would be a good, comprehensive grammar to supplement Joüon-Muraoka?

NB (for those who might be interested): A new Danish grammar of Biblical
Hebrew, "Bibelsk-hebraisk grammatik" by Dan Enok Sørensen, has just been
published.

Sincerely,
Rasmus Underbjerg Pinnerup