b-hebrew - Re: [b-Hebrew] 22nd Psalm & LXX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-Hebrew] 22nd Psalm & LXX
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:17:50 -0800

On 02/12/2003 15:05, David Kimbrough (CLWA) wrote:

My point was that a previous correspondent had identified the LXX as a
source supporting a translation the 22nd Psalm, Verse 16 as "they pierce"
when in fact, it reads "they dug", irrespective of my ad hoc transliteration
of the Greek. The debate was how to translate "karu", as "they dug" vs.
"they pierced". The LXX supports the former. Whether or not the author
meant "they dug" to mean "they pierce" was not the point per se.
dkimbrough AT clwa.org

Well, David, I would have more confidence that you had done your homework on the meaning of the verb in question if you had correctly identified its dictionary form. Your "oruko" suggests that you did not actually check on the meaning of ORUSSW/ORUTTW, with no letter which could possibly be transliterated "k".

I accept that the primary meaning of ORUSSW is "dig". But we need to look closely at scholarly dictionaries and preferably at its usage in a wide range of actual Greek texts before we can be at all safe in declaring that it cannot mean "pierce" but 'is unambiguously "to dig"'.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)