b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 22nd Psalm & LXX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • To: 'Deborah Millier' <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 22nd Psalm & LXX
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:03:55 -0800

The LXX divides parts of the 22nd Psalm in its 21st and 23rd Psalms. The
16th verse of the 22nd Psalm in the MT occurs in the 17th verse of the LXX's
21st Psalm. It reads...

LXX 21:17 Hoti ekuklosan me kunev polloi sunagoge ponhreuomenon periesxon me
orukan xeirav mou kai podav.

"Orukan" means "they dig" (from oruko, "to dig") , not they pierce like
"nusso" or "peripeiro" or even "ekkenteo" which mean would have been more
ambiguous since it can mean to "put out", "dig out", "to dig through",
"transfix", or "pierce". Oruko is unambiguously "to dig".

David Eugene Kimbrough
Water Quality & Laboratory Supervisor
Castaic Lake Water Agency
27234 Bouquet Canyon Road