b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Contextual Semantic Domains

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Contextual Semantic Domains
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:21:41 -0500

Dear Peter:

My intention was never to be an aconoclast. Thus, when I started with the
Gesenius/BDB dictionaries, my notes (which have become a lexicon) started
with noting synonyms, antonyms, special usages and to try to give a tighter,
more ‘native speaker’ understanding of the words. It was only with reluctance
that I later came to contradict BDB, and then only when I understand clear
usage clues for a different definition.

There are too many times I read XSD in a context where I see (often
undeserved) kind actions as volitional acts where there is no obligation to
fulfill.

My concept of ‘loyalty’ often is a volitional action where the only
obligation to fulfill is the obligation to one’s actions he has chosen to do
and to people he has chosen to associate with.

Karl W. Randolph.