b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Is there a pattern for a final -H?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Is there a pattern for a final -H?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:51:24 -0500

To All:

A while ago I asked if there is a pattern why some words would have a final
-H and others not.

Since that time I have collected over 200 noun pairs where the only
difference in the spelling is the presence or absence of a final -H. There
are more to go.

For a large number of the pairs, both are given the same meaning, but a
majority have recognizeably different meanings. Below are the initial
impressions noted as I am collecting the sample.

nouns without a final -H:
individual
concrete
refers to an action
if adjectival in use

nouns with a final -H
general
abstract
refers to something that follows that action
abstract meaning

If the pattern holds up upon further study, then the difference between XQ
and XQH would be that XQ refers to specific, concrete statutes while XQH
would refer to statutes in general, or in plural to the total corpus of
statutes. This is just one example.

Any thoughts? Am I all wet?

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers

  • [b-hebrew] Is there a pattern for a final -H?, Karl Randolph, 10/31/2003