b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Waw Consecutive in Narrative Hebrew Narrative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Waw Consecutive in Narrative Hebrew Narrative
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:57:46 -0700

On 10/14/03 8:32 AM, "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> View 1: waw-consecutives are the means of continuing a narrative, therefore
> Joshua continues the Torah, as a linear story.

To those who hold this view, I would pose the question what about Jonah 1:1?

wyhy dbr yhwh )l ywnh bN )mty l)mr ...

What narrative does Jonah continue? Some nitpicker is going to come back and
say "but you cannot compare the language of Jonah to Joshua." OK, perhaps
not but look at the way A.Niccacci* translates Jonah 1:1,

"Afterwards the word of the Lord came
to Jonah the son of Amittai, saying ..."

Does "Afterwards" really capture the discourse function of wyhy here?
After what?

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

NB: A.Niccacci has discussed these issues extensively and this gloss
"Afterwards" does not reflect the subtlety of his position on this topic.

*A. Niccacci, SYNTACTIC ANALYSIS OF JONAH