b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] linguistics, was Re: Prov. 30:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] linguistics, was Re: Prov. 30:19
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:35:30 -0500

Dear Trevor:

Like you, I think this discussion is becoming increasingly fruitless.

What I objected to was the bold statement that certain things couldn’t be
true, because reconstruction based on theory says it’s not true. That’s a
backwards application of theory (sadly all too common, even in the “hard”
sciences) because it is using theory to judge facts, whereas the proper use
of theory has facts judging theory.