b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] linguistics, was Re: Prov. 30:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] linguistics, was Re: Prov. 30:19
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:53:10 -0500

Dear Trevor:

The reason I ask if this question is more philosophical than linguistic in
nature is because I am looking at the question, what is the nature of the
evidence?

Or to put it another way, who is a more accurate indicator of historical
events? The one who lived through or observed the events (tempered by his
adherence to the truth), or the modern historian who reconstructs the events
based on his presuppositions? In this regard, I am reminded of a comment by a
historian, when he was a graduate student and starting to analyse source
documents for much of the history that he had studied as an undergrad, he
came to the prof and asked why undergrad histories omitted many details found
in source documents. The prof answered, “Because we don’t understand them.”
i.e. they didn’t fit the prof’s presuppositions.

Getting back to Hebrew, the earliest alphabetic writing that I am familiar
with, namely protosinaitic, had 22 glyphs. There are some who claim that this
writing has been found world wide: the stone I gave the URL and translated in
an earlier posting was found in Scandinavia (I have no idea how it got
there). This was the time that if the original Semitic language had more
phonemes, that it would have been a simple matter to add more glyphs. That
they did not until later is evidence that phonemes are added to, as well as
subtracted from, the languages. The modern theory that phonemes are only lost
by convergence does not correspond to the evidence that I observe, neither in
the case of Semitic languages, nor in the case of Norwegian from 800 AD to
today.

The reason I mention Norwegian is that there is where we find the original
writing with 16 glyphs (many Norwegians knew the more complex German runes,
but that they did not use them indicates that they did not need the extra
German runes except for their numerical values) which in its development lost
two of those phonemes, but added enough other ones that today modern
Norwegian has close to double the number of phonemes.

My reading of the evidence is that ancient Hebrew was one of the more
conservative of the languages, not adding new phonemes until the Galut Babel.
Some cognate languages could have started adding phonemes very early on,
others not until later. That Arabic’s additions are indicated by dots is one
evidence that Arabic’s additions may have been later than earlier. That we
find a certain commonality in those additions over different languages is
because shifts in sounds usually follow fairly regular patterns, and
influenced by contacts between speakers of the different cognate languages.

The reason I think this question has devolved to a philosophical question is
because I now see it dealing with what is the nature of historical evidence
in the historical development of the Hebrew language.

Karl W. Randolph.