b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 30:19 (LMH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 30:19 (LMH
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:59:44 -0500

Dear Peter:

By referencing the Septuagint, you have put another arrow in my quiver, so to
speak. It also provides a tie-in to another discussion in another thread,
namely that of when to have a feminine or masculine noun for a similar
meaning.

The flight of an eagle is soaring, constantly looking back and forth and
around again for targets of opportunity, the snake on bare rock (according to
recent research) grips on the slightest of bumps to propel himself forward,
therefore is casting back and forth to find those bumps, the ship in the sea
in the days before the invention of the compas and modern charts, crept along
the coasts or from headland to headland, back and forth, watching for reefs
and shallows, ready to turn in an instant, and a man in his youth, looking at
many options, before settling on his life’s work (sort of like my eldest,
spent three years in junior college looking at many options, different
subjects, before deciding on following his great-grandfather’s footsteps into
physics). A man exploring in the unknown, as in my original question, is like
the eagle, snake and ship as described above. In none of the cases are we
dealing with a sinuous or rythmic action. (A snake’ sinuous action is in
vegeta
tion or on sand or soft soil, not hard, bare rock.)

While my original question was merely saying I have a problem understanding
the text as it is presently understood, does it mean the deflowering of a
virgin or is it something in her heart, either way it didn’t fit the
parallelism. The LXX with its definition of youthfulness (I checked a
dictionary, my knowledge of Greek is not that good) or my suggestion of
“unknown” both fit the parallelism and, as far as I can understand, the
meaning of the unpointed text. In the case of the LXX, (LMH refers to the
status of a young man before he has settled down with a wife.

My contention is that “virgin”, i.e. a female who has not had sex, does not
fit here (at least not the parallelism and not well) and that is why I
brought up the question in the first place.

Karl W. Randolph.