b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Philip" <phil-eng AT ighmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:08:26 -0000

Thanks Rolf,

1. I am particularly interested in your statement,

"In some Qumran writings )LHYM refers to the angels as well."

Do you have any specific quotations in mind to back up the point?

2. Also, I take your point that "The reference of angels as "gods" in the
Tanakh neither indicate
polytheism nor henotheism..."

but to clarify the discussion further, I think that limiting the discussion
to Hebrew and Greek terminology such as "elohim", "malak", "aggelous",
"theos", "theoi", etc with quotations may 'lucidify' things a bit???

I say this because for example, it appears that some may read "elohim" as
God whereas other may read "elohim" as gods, angels, etc for the same
quotation.