b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 26:21 hoarse?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 26:21 hoarse?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:45:07 -0500

Dear Bryan:

It was precisely Pro 26:21 that led me to question if such a root is
legitimate. Yet this is the strongest case for that root.

Before Noah Webster, American spelling was quite fluid, a word may have two
different spellings within one sentence.

Similarly, when reading through Tanakh, I noticed a certain amount of
fluidity in spelling. Possibly the most common varient is that some nouns are
written with a final heh, and a varient without the heh, but both from the
same root with the same meaning. These appear to be varient spellings of the
same word. Yet lexicographers list them with separate entries. I found myself
asking “Why?” as I found example after example.

While I don’t consider myself reductionistic, I wonder how many entries are
duplicated just from variations in spelling?

Karl W. Randolph.