b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: YHWH: Consonants or Vowels

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: YHWH: Consonants or Vowels
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:46:51 -0400

Bearpecs at aol.com says:

Except that no word in any Semitic language consists only of vowels.

In Greek, however, which does have words consisting only of vowels,

I would expect these Hebrew consonants to be transcribed with vowels.

The short answer is: NO,
it is NOT possible that all the letters in the ineffable name were used
strictly as vowels.

Certainly your short answer is correct according to modern Biblical
Hebrew grammar rules.

Y-a-h w-e-h treated as consonants and vowels would follow the CVC CVC
rule,
but it is found in no extant pointed Hebrew text.

Yehovah would sortof follow the CVCVCVC rule.

Sacred Name ministries make a great case
that if the letters of the Tetragrammaton were all vowels,
it would be pronounced "Yahweh"

Of course Sacred Name ministries don't allow modern Biblical Hebrew
grammar rules to restrict them.

I often wonder if Clement of Alexandria believed that
the Tetragrammaton was composed of all vowels,
when he came up with IAOUE.

Dave Donnelly