b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH: Consonants or Vowels?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: jkilmon AT historian.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH: Consonants or Vowels?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:54:42 -0400

Jack says:

Since Genesis was almost certainly written AFTER 900 BCE,
what is the problem?

Dave says:

Possibly there is no problem,
if the Book of Genesis was written after 900 BCE.

Is it your understanding that Yod and He and Waw/Vav
were all being used as vowel letters in the Book of Genesis?

And if your answer is "yes"
it seems at least possible that Josephus was correct,
that YHWH was composed of 4 vowels,
and not 4 consonants.

e.g. it is possible that the 3 Hebrew vowel-letters,
[Yod/once and He/twice and Waw/Vav/once]
that are found in the Tetragrammaton,
were being used strictly as vowels.

Dave Donnelly