b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Elohiym has a Hireq Yod in the M.T.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Elohiym has a Hireq Yod in the M.T.
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:00:25 -0500

Without the yod, it becomes )LHM which means “unto them”. A quick survay of
the 100+ times )LHM revealed not once was it used for Elohiym with the
omission of the yod. This is using the present, but unpointed, text.

That doesn’t rule out finding an extra Biblical text or ancient MSS that
omits the yod, only that in all the examples that we have, the yod is never
omitted.

Karl W. Randolph.