b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Elohiym has a Hireq Yod in the M.T.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Elohiym has a Hireq Yod in the M.T.
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:04:55 -0400

Ken,

Thank you for the information.

Some sources indicate that vowel-letters were not used in the Hebrew text

until about 1000 B.C. to 900 B.C.

Does sufficient evidence exist to say that:
in Genesis 1:1,
in the original autograph,
it was unlikely that Elohiym had a Yod being used as a vowel-letter for
the vowel "i"?

Do any extant Hebrew texts as old as say 1100 B.C. [or earlier] even
exist,
so that scholars would know that in the oldest copies [or fragments] of
the Book of Genesis,
there wasn't a Yod in Elohiym,
so therefore, it must have been added at a later date?

Dave Donnelly