b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] 2Sam1:15-16, temporal sequence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <paul AT smcfm.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] 2Sam1:15-16, temporal sequence
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:49:56 -0400

Doris,

The "problem," as the subject line indicates, is a question about the fairly
common (although not universal) interpretation that a string of wayyiqtols
indicate actions reported in the sequence of occurrence. Clayton was
questioning if this interpretation held true here, as such a sequence would
indicate that the man was already dead when David spoke. See the other
postings in this thread to see how some see the interpretation still valid
and how others see this as a case where such an interpretation could not
hold true here.

Paul Zellmer