b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] software question: circlet indicating uncertainreading?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] software question: circlet indicating uncertainreading?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:20:00 -0400

Oops, I must correct some misinformation:

HEBREW MARK MASORA CIRCLE is NOT included in Times New Roman (but it is in
Ezra SIL, Cardo, Code2000, SBL Hebrew, Arial Unicode MS).
HEBREW MARK MASORA CIRCLE does not position correctly in TITUS Cyberbit
Basic.

COMBINING RING ABOVE is NOT included in Times New Roman, Ezra SIL, or SBL
Hebrew.
COMBINING RING ABOVE does not position correctly in Cardo, Code2000, and
TITUS.
In order to position correctly in other fonts, COMBINING RING ABOVE in must
be inserted to the RIGHT of (i.e. before) the consonant to be marked. This
is non-standard practice.
Most significantly, in MS Word (but not Notepad), COMBINING RING ABOVE takes
on the directionality of the paragraph, so it breaks the Right-To-Left flow
in Left-to-Right paragraphs.

If anyone would like a copy of my Dead Sea Scroll font which includes these
characters positioned correctly (for Hebrew), please email me privately.

Ken Penner, Ph.D. (cand.),
Dead Sea Scrolls (McMaster University)
pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
Vocabulary Memorisation Software: