b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] software question: circlet indicating uncertain reading?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: 翽 <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] software question: circlet indicating uncertain reading?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 05:43:13 -0700

On 27/08/2003 05:14, Søren Holst wrote:

Can I ask a partially off-topic question of all you software and Hebrew font
gurus out there?

A specific sign is customarily used to indicate a probable or uncertain
reading of a letter in transcribing a manuscript, e.g. in Qumran studies but
elsewhere too: A little circlet above the letter in question.

How does one type the little critter?

I'm usually writing in MS Word, inserting Hebrew by means of "Unitype Global
Office" in a font called UT Hebrew David or alternatively UT Hebrew
Frankruhl, but that's not so much a matter of choice as of being a blind hen
pecking every which way to see if something works :-)

So if something else is recommended, I'm listening.

The immediate reason for asking is the preparation of an article which it'd
be nice to have come out right if printed by someone the other side of the
planet - little circlets and all :-)

kol tuv
Soren Holst
Copenhagen