b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Why "believe" are in Hifil stem?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ynjiun Paul Wang" <ypw AT att.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew@Lists. Ibiblio. Org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Why "believe" are in Hifil stem?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:19:35 -0700

Hi Jason,

>You ask why "believe" comes in the HIFIL stem. Perhaps you are looking at
>the "agent" thing backwards. If you believe something, then you make it
>certain in your mind. You nail it down as a fact that you will hold. So, you
>are the causative agent in the process. Know what I mean? It is the same
>thing with the word "AMEN," which basically means "let it be so" or "let it
>be made certain."

So what you say is the "causative agent" is the person and the "subject" is
the heart. For example, when I said "I
believe" actually is "I cause my heart to believe" is this what you try to
convey?

>All of the Thirteen Articles of the Faith begin with the phrase ANI MA'AMIN
>BE'EMUNAH SHLEIMAH "I believe with complete/whole faith..." That second word
>is this very subject: I *believe.* In other words, it may not be so, but to
>me it is sure! It is certain! I believe it!

Please point me to where are the Thirteen Arcticles of the Faith reference
verses, Thank you very much.

Sincerely yours,

-Paul