b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Why "believe" are in Hifil stem?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Why "believe" are in Hifil stem?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:43:59 -0500

Paul,

Let me supply just an answer to the question of the subject of this thread.

You ask why "believe" comes in the HIFIL stem. Perhaps you are looking at
the "agent" thing backwards. If you believe something, then you make it
certain in your mind. You nail it down as a fact that you will hold. So, you
are the causative agent in the process. Know what I mean? It is the same
thing with the word "AMEN," which basically means "let it be so" or "let it
be made certain."

All of the Thirteen Articles of the Faith begin with the phrase ANI MA'AMIN
BE'EMUNAH SHLEIMAH "I believe with complete/whole faith..." That second word
is this very subject: I *believe.* In other words, it may not be so, but to
me it is sure! It is certain! I believe it!

Know what I mean?

Regards,
Jason