b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Encletic mem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: bshaw AT gpts.edu
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, deborahmillier AT yahoo.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Encletic mem
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:15:32 -0400

Dear Michael,

The "enclitic mem" is essentially an extraneous "mem" that shows up at
the endd of some words. The classic discussion of it is the article by
Horace Hummel, "Enclitic Mem in Early Northwest Semitic, especially
Hebrew," JBL 76:85-107. There is a good summary in Waltke-O'Connor
paragraph 9.8, pp. 158-160.

Sincerely,
Benjamin Shaw
Academic Dean, GPTS