b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] [Biblical-languages] "Jerusalem" in Ezra

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: John Baima <jbaima AT silvermnt.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] [Biblical-languages] "Jerusalem" in Ezra
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:12:40 -0700

On 14/08/2003 06:27, John Baima wrote:

I am struggling with how to render "Jerusalem" in Ezra (cf. 1:2ff) and what is to be done with the extra hireq. The electronic text I use has lamed and then vowel, accent, vowel. What is the proper way to handle this in Unicode?

This is under current discussion on the Unicode list and the related Hebrew list. The closest thing to a consensus is that the character U+034F CGJ should be inserted before the second vowel. This should be rendered correctly with the forthcoming SBL Hebrew font.