b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re:hwh in Hifil

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John D Robinett" <jrobinett1 AT wi.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re:hwh in Hifil
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:32:45 -0500

Peter,

Let me see if I am getting your point. I am still young in Hebrew. Since
the common practice is to use a petach or Kametz with a first H vowels in
the Qal Imperfect 3ms (Yiqtol), that explains the pronounciation dif?
Therefore, Yahweh (as a verb) would be Qal IMpf 3ms instead of Hifil impf
3ms correct? And 'ehyeh would follow suit? being Qal impf 1cs. I guess
another question (one which if it can be answered I will be shocked) is how
do we know that the Maseorites pointed it right. Is it possible that it
should be attested in Hifil? And how certain is it that HyH and YHWH can
not be in hifil form? The later I presume is a basic question.

I am not sure if I have lamden, but I did not see any reference to this in
Seow.

Shalom
John