b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gabriel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gabriel
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:11:07 -0700

On 25/07/2003 08:54, Jim West wrote:

At 04:50 PM 7/25/03 +0100, you wrote:

A friend has asked me if I can throw any light on the Hebrew roots of the name Gabriel (Dan 8:15, 9:21).

"warrior of God" or "strong one of God" or more precisely, "warrior of El".

I'm aware that there are various alternatives suggested, but wondered if people here had any views which might contribute to a fuller understanding?

well, gibbor means warrior and el is the name of the canaanite god.

Maybe, but there is no dagesh in the bet and no O vowel in Gabriel. So the first part is more likely GEBER "man" (as distinct from women and children) than GIBBOR. The second E in GEBER is "anaptyctic", thanks Ken for this word, i.e. added for ease of pronunciation, and the first vowel may originally have been A. So I would go more for "man of El". Which is in fact exactly what BDB said.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com