b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Constellations in Job

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Constellations in Job
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:24:39 -0500

Is there any reason there should be a mention of the zodiac constellations?

The constellations of the zodiac were chosen as part of astrology. The
picture given in Job is of a person who worshipped the God of Israel, even
though he may not have been Israelite himself. We find numerous references in
Tenakh forbidding practicing astrology, so would we not almost expect that if
constellations are mentioned in Job (as they are to show GodÂ’s greatness),
that they would exclude any from the zodiac?

Karl W. Randolph.