b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] pharaoh as god

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] pharaoh as god
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 20:11:41 -0500

> I don't know from what era "the earliest written
> sources" hail

That’s the rub. If they are contemporanious to the
pharaohs in question (e.g. the pharaoh who elevated
Joseph to prime minister) then the earlier
qestion concerning the meaning of QCP pertaining
to a god is strengthened, but if the sources stem
from a much later time (e.g. attributing divinity
to strengthen later claims) then the claim that QCP
is for a superior but not necessarily a god to an
inferior is strengthened.

Genesis, as it presently stands, favors the latter
reading, as it does not attribute divinity to the
pharaoh of Joseph’s time.

Thanks for the reference.

I hope your meal was tasty.

Karl W. Randolph.