b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Pharaoh as god

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh as god
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:25:49 -0500

To All:

When did it become the tradition that pharaoh was to be considered as a god?

While it is well attested to later that pharaoh was to be considered a god,
it is my understanding that at the very beginning of the kingdom, pharoah was
merely a first among equals, only later acquiring greater and greater
authority. At which point did he start claiming divinity? Are there any
historical records that spell out that point? Was it during the Hyksos period
when the shepherd kings tried to legitimize their claim to the throne?
Earlier? Later? When do we find the first claims of divinity? Was there any
controversy conserning those claims?

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers