b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Xatserim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Xatserim
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:13:56 -0400

No I have one: In the various tribal town lists in Josh 15-21, many of the
"segments" end with the total number of "'arim... vexatsrehen" - usually
translated "towns and their villages", though probably referring to the
town's outlying agricultural installations. For examples see Josh 15:32,
36, 41 etc.
The same is true in 19:6 and 7, at the end of the two "sections" of the
Simeonite town list.

However, when the Chronicler copies the same list in 1 Chr. 4:31-32, he
changes the context: at the end of the first section he has "These were
their towns (changing "'arim" to "'arehem", reffering to the Simeonites)
until David became king". The next section then begins "Vexatsrehem..."
"And their villages were... five towns" (no "and their villages"). Notice
the shift in gender from "vexatsrehen" in Josh. (fem., corresponding to
'arim) to "vexatsrehem" (masc., as in "the Simeonites").

In my understanding of "xatserim", these are the agricultural installations
that were attached to each "town" (remember, Israelite "towns" "'arim" were
mostly villages). But the Chronicler obviously thought differently, since
he detatched the 5 Xatserim from the 13 'arim.

Any thoughts?

Yigal

Any
Dr. Yigal Levin