b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Mesha & Moshe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Medina, Vincent" <VMedina AT cbcag.edu>
  • To: "Trevor Peterson" <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Mesha & Moshe
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:42:24 -0500

Walter:

I believe that the name Mesha is formed from the root yasha "to save."
Other names formed from the same root would include: Isaiah (yeshayahu),
Shua, Hosea, and Joshua. (sorry I don't know the b-Hebrew
transliteration system and so don't depict the ayin in transliteration)
Hope this helps. If I'm wrong maybe others can shed some light on it.

Vince Medina

Associate Professor
Central Bible College
3000 N. Grant Avenue