b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Mesha & Moshe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Mesha & Moshe
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:50:31 -0400

Of course it is - you don't need the inscription, look at 2 Kings 3:4 (in
Hebrew, of course). Mesha (mem-yod-shin-'aiyn) is derived from the root Y$(
("saved/will save"), and is similar in meaning to Joshua (YH saves) and Jesus.
The precise etymology of Moses, M$H (Mosheh - mem-shin-he) is not clear.
Ex. 2:10 gives a Hebrew etymology - "ki min hammayyim MESHITIHU", "for out
of the water I [Pharaoh's daughter] have drawn him." But I doubt if
Pharaoh's daughter spoke Hebrew. It has been suggested that the source is
Egyptian, "mose" meaning "born of", like in the names Thutmose and Ahmose.

In any case, Mesha' and Moses are totally different.

Yigal