b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] James Ossuary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] James Ossuary
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:07:55 +0100

The Associated Press report of the Israel Antiquities Authority, datelined 12.49 GMT Weds, is available on:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2804228,00.html
and the first paragraph reads:
>> An inscription purporting to link an ancient burial box to Jesus' brother James is a modern day forgery with no link to New Testament figures, Israel's Antiquities Authority said Wednesday. <<

The AP story is also carried on the Jerusalem Post: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1055902719137

I think the headline on a Jerusalem Post editorial of June 13 best encapsulates my own view:
>> Jesus for suckers <<

P.S
I can find nothing later than Oct 30, 2001 on the "News" section of the IAA web-site: http://www.israntique.org.il/eng/news.html
Ah, well, in terms of the centuries they deal with, 20 months is but the blink of an eyelid, I suppose <g>

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros AT iol.ie