b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1QM 11.6-7 KWKB

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: 'Biblical Hebrew ' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1QM 11.6-7 KWKB
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 22:31:23 -0700

on 6/7/03 4:27 AM, Soren Holst wrote:

> Nope, the whole passage is on the Biblical theme of God rather than military
> strenghth being determinate for the victory of his people.

Well Fitzmeyer agrees on the "Nope" part. His discussion is kind of hard to
follow.

> The fact that a verse which is otherwise used as a messianic proof text is
> brought in, doesn't necessitate a messianic understanding.

I know this is hard to believe but I just stumbled into this issue
completely unaware that this Balaam oracle (Num 24:17-19) was a
controversial subject. E.Fox (Five Books of Moses) notes that some
Rabbinical tradition holds this as a messianic text. The targums read MLK
for KWKB.

> I'd say the mention of "your anointed ones" actually speaks against a
> messianic reading, since these anointed ones are obviously not Messiahs
> bringing about victory or peace, but are explicitly identified as "seers"
> telling the people that the one who brings about victory or peace is God
> himself.

Yes, I can see this.

Thought I was asking a simple question and have uncovered something of a
mares nest. Need to read JJ Collins, J Allegro ... to get the whole picture.

Thanks, Soren.

greetings, Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew