b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 1QM 11.6-7 KWKB

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Soren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Biblical Hebrew ' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 1QM 11.6-7 KWKB
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 13:27:24 +0200

Nope, the whole passage is on the Biblical theme of God rather than military
strenghth being determinate for the victory of his people.

The fact that a verse which is otherwise used as a messianic proof text is
brought in, doesn't necessitate a messianic understanding.

I'd say the mention of "your anointed ones" actually speaks against a
messianic reading, since these anointed ones are obviously not Messiahs
bringing about victory or peace, but are explicitly identified as "seers"
telling the people that the one who brings about victory or peace is God
himself.

happy Pentecost to those celebrating that (Shavu'ot ended yesterday, right?)

Soren, Copenhagen