b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Paleo and Aquila

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ingalls, Alan" <aingalls AT bbc.edu>
  • To: "B-Hebrew (E-mail)" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Paleo and Aquila
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:21:39 -0400

A New Testament colleague of mine was showing me a ms of Aquila in which the
Tetragrammaton is inserted in paleo-Hebrew characters in an otherwise Greek
text. The Tetragrammaton seems to be represented by yod-he-yod-he rather
than yod-he-waw-he. My colleague, Dr. Rod Decker, has posted some notes on
this temporarilly on his faculty web-page at
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/temp/temp.htm. He includes there images from
Metzger's book Manuscripts of the Greek Bible. Am I mis-reading the paleo?
Is this related to the practice of representing the Tetragrammaton in the
Targums and Yerushalmi (Aramaic!) as yod-yod? Any idea of where this
practice of representing the Tetragrammaton with yod-yod comes from? Any
help you can offer regarding this puzzle would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Ingalls

Dr. Alan D. Ingalls
Associate Professor of OT
Baptist Bible Seminary