b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Wilderness of Sin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Wilderness of Sin
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:56:25 -0400

Hi Walter,

"Zin" (Sade-Nun), in what is now called the central Negev and central-north
Sinai, appears in the locative "Zinah" twice (Nu. 34:4 and Josh. 15:3),
both in the (almost identical) desciptions of the southern boundary of The
Land, meaning that the border-line went "to Zin". I don't know of the from
"hazinah".
"Sin" (Samekh-Yod-Nun), is on the easternmost Nile Delta (now probably east
of the Suez Cannal and in fact in Ez. 30:15-16 rendered "Pelusium" by the
Vulgate - which the KJV ignored and the NRSV retained) is never spelled
that way, but presumably would have been had the occasion arisen.

Yigal