b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalm 40:6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalm 40:6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 15:26:05 -0400

Shalom b-hebrew

My next question is a combination of hebrew, greek, aramaic, patristics and
textual criticism :-)
Hopefully it is ok here :-)

Very well known is the distinction between the Masoretic text on Psalms 40:6
and the
socalled LXX ...letting the KJB represent the Masoretic we have..

Psalm 40:6 (KJB)
Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened....

Psalm 39 (40):6 LXX:
Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me....

And this comes up in Messianic prophecy issues because of the reference in
Hebrews

Hebrews 10:5 (KJB)
Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering
thou wouldest not, but a
body hast thou prepared me:
QUESTION #1
Llamsa's Aramaic is
Sacrifices and offerings thou didst not desire; but as for me, I now have
understanding....

Where did Llamsa get this from, his own translation quirks, or a true
difference in the text ?
Different than both the MT and the socalled LXX
QUESTION #2
Exactly what is the socalled LXX support -- simply Vaticanus ?

And there is some indication that this was referenced in Patristics,
Iraneaus - Against Heresies,
but I haven't found it yet. Anybody know "offhand" :-)

And somebody else was mentioned, one of the "A" ECW
(Athanasius ?) but likely that was later, so less relevant.

Any help on early quotations appreciated.

SIDENOTE
And a pretty reasonable case can be made that the Hebrews passage is simply
an interpretation
of the Hebrew, while the Greek LXX passage was a smoothing translation by
Christian scribes,
rather than actually representing a Greek Psalms from B.C.

The Septuagint: A Critical Analysis by Floyd Nolan Jones p.45
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/1157/floyd-jones.htm
http://www.floydjones.org/ebooks2.html

Commentators like John Gill and John Darby exegete the passage similarly.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY

schmuel AT escape.com