b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] V2 (was VSO vs. SVO)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] V2 (was VSO vs. SVO)
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:27:15 -0700

on 5/28/03 11:21 AM, Dr Dale M Wheeler wrote:

> 3.b. And I seriously question whether a language without the need for
> pronouns, nevertheless reserves a phantom slot for them. This *certainly*
> is not true for Koine Greek! But if the prefixed Waw is occupying a "slot"
> and the pronoun is occupying the second "phantom" slot, doesn't that mean
> that the verb is normally in the *third* slot??

I agree. This is a mistaken notion which plagues a lot of discussions of
Hellenistic Greek. If a constituent isn't required to make a well formed
clause then it is wrong headed to reserve a slot for that constituent when
it is absent.

And like others who have contributed to this thread, I am suspicious of the
whole notion of "fronting" because it presupposes a standard constituent
order. The whole SVO/VSO kind of discussion proceeds as if there is a
default constituent order and we just need to determine what it is. Might be
more useful to drop the assumption that Hebrew has a standard word order and
find a different way of forming the question.

on 5/28/03 3:30 PM, Liz Fried wrote:

>> (3) Liz: you don't know **anyone** who does Hebrew and Chomsky ... ?? ;-)
>>

> IT's *very* Chomskyian.
>
> Liz

And it is middle or late Chomsky, not Chomsky '59,'65 which a lot of vintage
generative syntax theory is based on. I read Liz's paper and concluded that
I don't understand Chomsky very well.

greetings,

Clay

--