b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] zerayim, zerah - to Abraham and his seed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] zerayim, zerah - to Abraham and his seed
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 00:20:24 +0100

I have recently been involved in a discussion of Galatians 3:16 on another
(private, sadly) list. It is certainly an interesting take on the exegesis
of the Hebrew text, and one which, in my opinion, should not be judged by
modern standards which attempt to draw a rigid line between exegesis and
application: I would suggest that Paul was not trying to claim that the
original author intended a reference to Christ, rather that he was making an
application by analogy (or typology) to Christ. In fact much of the
discussion on the other list related to exactly which promises to Abraham
Paul was referring to: the exact words he used are quoted from Genesis
13:15, 17:8, 24:7 LXX but another participant argued from the context in
Galatians that the reference is in fact to 22:18.

Gill's point doesn't really hold. It is true that the plural of ZERA` is
used, but in the Hebrew Bible only in 1 Sam 8:15 where the reference is to
literal seeds and may well be understood in terms of different kinds of
seed. But it is undeniable that in some places the singular ZERA` is to be
understood as a collective for multiple descendants e.g. Gen 13:16, and
15:13 where a plural suffixes are used. Usage in the Talmud is not really
relevant as Hebrew had changed a lot by that time.

The issue then becomes how to determine when ZERA` is used as a singular and
when as a collective. This was in fact the issue I was looking at in Gen
22:17-18 which I mentioned in a recent posting to this list; if these lines
are in poetic parallelism, it seems unlikely to me that ZERA` singular is
being used as a collective in the first and a singular in the second, as NIV
seems to take it - and in v.17 it surely must be collective.

On this point I was referred to two articles in Tyndale Bulletin which
apparently attempt to define criteria based on the number of suffixes etc
(but I have only seen abstracts): Alexander, T.D. "Further Observations of
the Term 'Seed' in Genesis", TynBul 48 (1997), 363-67 and J. Collins, "A
Syntactical Note [Genesis 3.15]: Is the Woman's Seed Singular or Plural?"
TynBul 48 (1997): 142-44; also a discussion (not seen) in Williamson,
Abraham, Israel and the Nations, 247-53. Steven, these may help your
research. There is also a wealth of material on the Internet, e.g. from a
Google search for "abraham seed", but probably a lot to be weeded out before
you find the good stuff.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/