b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Jeremiah's R&W

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Jeremiah's R&W
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:51:58 -0600

On Monday 19 May 2003 16:14, Bill Rea wrote:
> Jan-Wim Wesselius wrote:-
>
> >Did anyone mention Jer. 32:10 yet? It proves that he could at least sign
> > his name. It seems unlikely that he could not read, though one cannot, of
> > course, gauge his proficiency. Hope this helps,
>
> I translate this verse as:-
>
> 10 So I wrote the deed, sealed it, had it witnessed, then I weighed out
> the silver on a pair of balances.
>
> In one sense you can't argue with what it says and so my question is
> answered that Jeremiah was literate. But I just wonder if it would be
> phrased differently if Baruch had done the writing because if we
> read on:-
>
> 11 Then I had the deed of purchase sealed in accordance with the
> commandment and statute, and the open one 12 I gave the deed of purchase
> to Baruch, son of Neriah, son of Mahseiah, in the sight of all the
> Judeans sitting in the court of the guard. 13 So I instructed Baruch, in
> their sight, saying, 14 Thus said YHWH, Creator of the Hosts, God of
> Israel, ``Take these deeds, the deed of this purchase, the sealed and
> the open deed, and put them in a pottery jar so that they may last a
> long time. 15 For thus said YHWH, Creator of the Hosts, God of Israel,
> ``Houses, fields, and vineyards shall again be purchased in this
> land.''
>
> We see that Baruch was present and both copies of the deeds were
> placed in his care. So I find Jer 32:10 less than totally convincing.

I really don't see how you got from point A to point B. It says in so many
words that Jeremiah wrote them, then *afterwards* delivered them to Baruch,
and that in front of witnesses. If Baruch had done the writing because
Jeremiah was illiterate, why would he need to hand them over to Baruch?
Baruch would already have them. The fact that Baruch was present means
nothing for the question of whether Jeremiah could read or write, so the
conclusion above seems like a non-sequitur to me.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur