b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re:

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re:
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:42:25 -0500

Bill:

The specific examples of Jeremiah writing his name in the purchase document
(Jeremiah 32:10) and writing a document to be read in Babel (Jeremiah 51:60)
as well as other references to written works lead me to the conclusion that
Jeremiah himself was literate. I may be wrong, but I also have the impression
that basic literacy, as opposed to scholarship, was expected among Jewish
society of that time, which would mean that Jeremiah had at least basic
literacy if not scholarship.

Karl.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup